Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Play Therapy for Malnourished Babies

This is the typical rusted crib with a string used to hang toys. None of these cribs are safety standard so arms and legs are constantly getting stuck and babies are crying. It hurt my soul as a therapist and mom to see these babies on their backs and under-stimulated for hours a day.
Thanks to the generous contributions of people from Lakeland to St.Pete- I was able to collect baby mobiles to install on the cribs. The excellent stimulation of both sounds and sight brought coos and laughter from the little faces. They stared in amazement! As a mother, I felt the same way I did when I stared into the eyes of my own child discovering a new surprise I had hung over their crib. This was one of the most rewarding moments of my life as research shows that adding just a mobile alone can increase a child's IQ 
Gymboree Parachute was the basis for all our play therapy. Instead of crying malnourished babies, we stimulated smiles, giggles and lots of developmental movement! 
Gymbo the clown puppet was loved by all! 
 
Therapy time checking the babies for head control and posture using Gymboree bolster- 
I have never loved being a therapist more than this day when I was able to elicit movement and developmental play. 

No comments:

Post a Comment